Optique has moved to a preventive care approach, rather than the traditional method of “fix problems once they arrive.” Now, the doctors at Optique are preventing and controlling the advancement of myopia (nearsightedness) in kids, detecting problems with the macula years before macular degeneration starts (and treating early to prevent progression), and searching for diabetes, high blood pressure, glaucoma, and around ten other conditions years before they become symptomatic. Optique uses the latest technology available in the industry and is second to no other practice in Nashville.
Health problems such as diabetes and high blood pressure, as well as specific eye diseases such as macular degeneration, glaucoma, retinal tears, and retinal bleeding can be easily imaged and documented for change. Even if you do not have any of these problems, it is a good idea to have a baseline digital image in your medical record.
Complete Ocular Biometry
With new equipment, the doctors at Optique are able to measure literally every feature of your eye, including the thickness of your cornea, the depth of your anterior chamber, the angle of your anterior chamber, your pupil size in dim and bright light, your prescription in dim and bright light, the density of pigment in the macula and most importantly, higher order aberrations that are responsible for “things just don’t seem as clear as they used to.” With these revolutionary measurements, the doctors at Optique can go beyond the ordinary and help you achieve extraordinary results.
Electronic Medical Records
Optique is completely paperless. This helps our patients in a variety of ways.
- When Dr. Michele Sonsino is in Italy scouting frames for the optical, she can remotely (and securely) handle patient concerns on the spot.
- Errors due to handwriting are completely eliminated.
- Retinal photographs are integrated into the chart so that conditions can be monitored each year relying on the actual images of the eye instead of drawings.
- We know you are extremely busy, so patient forms can be submitted digitally prior to your visit to save you time.
By far, the most accurate way to objectively assess a patient’s prescription. A weak laser bounces off the retina. A computer then tracks this light as it goes in and out of the eye to analyze higher order aberrations. Caution: this machine has no brain- our optometrists must use theirs to accurately determine your prescription.
Digital Retinal Imaging provides:
- An image to confirm a healthy eye or to detect the presence of disease.
- Undilated procedure.
- The opportunity for you to view and discuss the image of your retina right in the examination room with the doctor.
- A permanent record for your medical file, enabling Drs. Michele and Jeffrey Sonsino to make important comparisons if potential problems show themselves at a future examination.
Here are some examples of problems detected with Digital Retinal Imaging:
Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Gives a profile view of the structures of the anterior segment
- Very useful for fitting complex contact lenses that vault over the cornea
- Provides a topographical map of the cornea to identify elevations and depressions
- Very useful for fitting complex contact lenses
- Monitor progression of conditions such as keratoconus
- Identifies “unknown” causes of vision loss